Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Maidenform Bra

My cousin's husband he had a hard life
Worked twenty years before she was his wife.
Worked ten more years but he won't tell you because
He worked most of his life making Maidenform bras.

I think about him. Perhaps in his youth
He was bold enough to tell anybody the truth.
But he got tired of the jokes. That's the way it just was
When you were a guy making Maidenform bras.

But once at a party he had too much porter
And said “Years ago we did special order.”
And after another and a whisky and soda
“I was on the special team that did Carol Doda!”

Then talked of fine fabric and complex underwires.
“If they say it was easy, then they’re goddamn liars.”
Then put down his glass and said with some grief.
“Now there’s so many women who can’t get no relief.

They gotta make do. There’s no custom fit.
It’s all about money. No one gives a shit.”
That’s all he said. He had the thousand yard stare.
Marx said “Everything solid melts into the air.”

But you won’t pay attention. The reason’s because
You think I’m just talking about Maidenform bras.



The Poet Loses His Teeth

My teeth are gone but yet I live and sing.
What know I of Oblivion quite yet?
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything. 

The curfew tolls Death’s knell and I hear it ring
And I will go betimes and go without regret.
My teeth are gone but yet I live and sing.

Hell's bell’s sound out ring a ding ding.
I laugh and sing as down and out I set.
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

A little life! A little life! What will it bring?
I am to myself still a stranger met.
My teeth are gone and yet I live and sing.

Death be not proud! Thou art not yet King!
I will still mouth a marvelous motet
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

My songs live on! No matter what Death may bring.
I have no teeth but I am not dead yet.
My teeth are gone but yet I will live and sing
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.



Unembedded Sonnet

If plants have life and soul they must have grown
Some sort of nervous system web of night
Not linked to body. Forces yet unknown
As the great God Baldur the God of Light
Saw when the Flower Princess bathed in the stream
Neither plant, nor stone, nor crystal nor wave
An All Knowing God. He saw this was not a dream.
No thing left out, no thing that he need save.
Eternal life to all the living things.
Nothing is dead. He saw her naked there.
Alone and not alone… of course she sings!
Old Euclid never looked on beauty bare
In hidden forms. She looked in Baldur’s eyes.
And laughed. And turned. Remembered the surprise





No comments: