Saturday, November 23, 2013

A CUCUMBER did my spirit seal; 
I had no human fears: 
She seem'd a thing that could not feel 
The touch of earthly years. 

No PICKLES have I now, no force; 5
And not even any cheese;
Roll'd round in earth's diurnal course
With rocks, and stones, and trees




Gamblers Three

On a cold winter evening on a fast train to nowhere
I heard a deep voice. The voice said Howdy, Joe,
I see that you're riding on this train of ghosts and shadows.
I looked into the dark. It was Dale Credico.

Yeah, were on this train together. Dale was singing Stormy Weather.
Looks like I know the fellow you are with.
He was drinking gin and tonic. You could tell he felt a bit ironic.
Singing Boots of Spanish Leather Of course it was Tim Smith.

Tim looked out of the window. This train is moving so fast.
The red light and the blue light, Were leaving them behind.
I gotta tell you, boys, I think that this next station
Is just a few before the last one.
The blue light is your baby and the red light is your mind.

But you gotta keep singing on this fast train to no-where.
You're not getting off alive so what else can you do?
So remember who you love. One day you wont be there.
Everybody's aboard this train and were all just passing through.

We didn't say much more. But we began to cheer up.
As we sang a few songs and had few more beers.
And we sang some sad songs and we began to tear up.
We were sad but merry and as lost as grenadiers.

We spoke of 67 and how they weren't days of heaven.
And all we didn't know. And all that's still not clear.
Until along came the conductor and tapped me on the shoulder.
Said, Mister Joe, you have to get off here.

I said This ain't my station. Just for your information.
My ticket says I get to go to the end of the damn line.
But then I was on the platform. I saw my wife and daughters.
Stepped into the darkness and I was feeling fine.

You gotta know when to hold them. Know when to fold them
Into your arms and say I love you.
And its no use gambling that you're gonna keep on riding.
The midnight trains coming. Coming just for you..

But you gotta keep singing on that fast train to no-where.
Youre not getting off alive so what else can you do?
So remember who you love. One day you wont be there.
Everybody's aboard this train and were all just passing through.

No comments: