Saturday, November 23, 2013

Homer Speaks

“Topless Towers” Yeah, I wrote that.
That’s what Priam wanted.
Petting his dog as I brought out my lyre.
Closing his eyes. Paris and Helen talking all the time.
Damn them. But it was a good song.
A good song.

“Wine dark sea” is all mine too.

I’m writing this as Troy burns.
Not my fault. “Leave the goddamn horse outside” I told them.
But, they never listened to Cassandra.
Much less this old man.

Well, here they come
Those fine haired sons of bitches.
It’s over. All over.

I’ll do ok though.
Got a little thing called “The Iliad” I was writing on the side.
Even got a great last line:
“Thus was the funeral of Hector, Tamer of Horses.”
Think they’ll see the irony?
Not a chance.
But I’ll do ok.

I always do.
“Hey Odysseus! It’s me. Homer!
Remember me?”
“The wine dark sea guy?”

No comments: