Saturday, November 23, 2013

I remember a Halloween of long ago.

There was a Halloween moon.

I was going to go with my Uncle Joe.

"When will he be here?" "Soon."

I sat and waited by the front porch light

And watched as the ghouls crept by.

The leaves tumbled down in the Halloween night.

The clouds were orange in the sky.

With moonlight shining on the steel mill red

As the old and familiar hell.

And Uncle Joe was beside me…. Said

"You're ready, I guess? Oh, well."

And we began walking the dreary beat

I walked every Hallow's eve

To the houses there on our sad street

Just where I wanted to leave.

When my uncle said. "C'mon get in"

As we came up to his car.

Ah, he had a flask and it was full of gin

And the car was a Jaguar.

Silver and white like a god's own ghost

And Joe put it in first gear

Then second and third and then began to coast

And sing like a gondolier.

And I could feel the moon laugh down at us

As we glided through the night.

"Let's just drive." My uncle said.

And I just said "Alright!"

No comments: